30 Jan 2013

Australian Body Care Tea Tree OIl Hand Cream

I've been lucky enough to be sent some hand creams to review with you over the next couple of weeks. I was going to do one massive post comparing them all, but I thought that a good in depth review of each would be better and then you can make your own minds up.


The first time I used this I hated it. I hated the smell, the texture, the lack of instant absorption. Basically, first impressions were pretty shocking.

However, after I popped it on the shelf, it kept looking at me. So I got it down and forced myself to use it. The second time I used it, I spent a bit more time rubbing it into my hands, making sure I got it in between my fingers where the dryness really attacks my hands and then waited for it to sink in. And I'm reasonably impressed.

Packaging: 3/5
The packaging is a bit 80's I think, with the colour and font style, but it does remind me a bit of holidays so I also quite like it. I especially like the size of this (it's 50ml) as it's perfect for slinging in my bag. The flip top is also really handy and the hole in the lid is a good size, so you don't have masses of product slopping out, but it's not too small so you're squeezing your life away trying to get the tiniest bit out.

Scent: 3/5
The first thing you'll notice about this product is the smell. It is VERY potent. When I used it initially, Olie who was on the other side of the room smelt it and complained. Tea tree is something I associate with shampoo for when you have an itchy head or when you have severe dandruff so this smell did put me off using it a bit. As did Olies complaining. On the other hand though, when you have dry cracked skin, the intensity of this product makes me wonder if it would be a great healer. My hands are not too bad at the moment and I don't have any large cracks I can test this out on, but I think that if my hands do get worse, I'd be reaching for this product because of that.

Texture: 4/5
The texture is quite 'nice'. It's not too thick as to lay on the skin too long in a white layer, which really annoys me about some hand creams (E45, I'm looking at you) and it's not too thin either so that you have to use a ton of it just to moisturise one finger. It spreads easily and I could feel it sinking in a bit almost instantly. However, it's quite a greasy product, noted, it's base is Tea Tree oil so I give it some leeway with that, but it's not something I would lean towards if I was at work or out and about for that reason.

Durability/performance: 2/5
I couldn't really tell the difference between my clean dry skin before applying the product and 10 minutes after applying because the product wears of incredibly fast. The smell lingers longer than the feeling. It sinks in a little straight after applying and then just sits there, getting wiped off on anything and everything I touch. I have another hand cream, which instantly became my favourite (I'll be posting a review up soon) that takes away the itchiness of the dry skin on my hands and then creates a barrier to the cold for the next couple of hours preventing any more irritation, so I was disappointed with this product because of its lack of ability to do that in this wintery wonderland at the moment. However I do think it would be a great summertime hand cream.

Overall: I give this a 2/5 stars. It's light, if not a tad greasy; it deals with the problem, if only for a little while; it smells clean, even if it makes your eyes water and I did like the feeling it gave my hands straight after application. I wouldn't be surprised if come summer when I plan to use it again that I give it a much higher score so watch this space.

In total: 14/25

No comments:

Post a Comment