11 Sep 2012

Swarfega

I'm going to let you in on a little secret.

Once upon a time, a year ago, being a girl and not very much interested on DIY or tradespeople I didn't know about Swarfega. Now, being a girl and very much interested in DIY, I use this product  lot. It is designed for (and I know this is very stereotypical) mens dirty hands, after they've been out fixing the car, creating some amazing accessory  for the lawn mower or just being a bit grubby - it focuses on exfoliation, super cleansing and being not so harsh that it'll damage their hands.



For me, this shouted AMAZING FACE CLEANSER.

And actually it is.

I have a tendancy to use hand products on my face, because they have just that bit more oomph in them that makes all the difference to my skin. I find this is so, you might not, but bear with me on this one.

Recently, I've been getting a lot of spots on the left hand side of my chin and cheek. These aren't the normal white/blackhead squeeze and be done with kind. No, these are the brewing for days and days and days and getting redder and redder and shinier and shinier until I cannot bear it and squeeze until my face bleeds and the spot is STILL THERE (dammit).

I was using my normal cleanser (which I promise I will post about) and then, when that didn't work, our handwash and still these spots were not budging. So in the end I thought bugger it, I'm going to bash some of this Swarfega on and see what happens. To be fair, it couldn't have got much worse.

The first thing I noticed about this was the exfoliation. It reminds me a lot of the Clinique cleanser I used at the start of the year and of some of that St Ives cleanser that a lot of people used to review (back in the day). The exfoliation particles remind me of bits of sugar, so they're quite large, but they're not boulders and they're not too harsh on the skin. I liked it because it made my skin feel fresh, but not tight. The other great thing about this is that it rubbed off all the dryness around the spots that had begun to itch and looked a little tatty when I applied makeup, so a bonus right there.

The other thing I love is the smell. I have the orange version and it smells like Calpol, so it reminds me of my childhood. At my store (Screwfix), we also sell the yellow one and that smells gorgeous too (but I can't remember what it smells of). A lad I know uses the green one and he says it smells horrendous, but a lot of the men I try to sell Swarfega to, don't really give two hoots about what it smells like as long as they can get into their crisp white linen sheets on a night without their wives going mental at them for getting oil everywhere, so I can't comment on the scent of the green one too much.

For the size of the pots and containers we sell Swarfega in, you do get a lot for your money. I spent around £3 on my bottle (which has a hand pump - shown in the picture - unlike the yellow we sell, which comes in a tub and you scoop out however much you want) and I've used about a tenth of the bottle. Including when Olie comes in and washes his hands too. As far as I'm aware it doesn't really 'go off' so occasional use  wouldn't affect the reliability of the product.

I don't think I'd use this as a regular cleanser, but as a drastic resort to an onslaught of spots, it does an amazing job and I would recommend it for anyone who has tried allsorts and has still not found a solution for their skin problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment